Call for Submissions
A.I.R. Gallery / Deadline: 09/23/20
The Biennial exhibition An A-Historical Daydream will investigate an idea of malleable time and space across a variety of histories. Histories are often singular narratives: they are agendized and unbalanced, and often promote a binary idea of 'us vs. them' or 'conqueror and conquered.' This exhibition invites artists to reconsider the popular histories that we have been taught, and to then radically imagine a space-time dimension in which colonialism—and hegemonic structures—never existed or existed in a different form. The exhibition asks artists to examine the breadth of speculative possibilities from both micro and macro angles. Artists can choose to focus on singular themes that are often associated with historical moments or identities, or they may choose to take a more directly narrative approach to fully exploring the possibility of entirely new worlds.
Curated by Jasmine Wahi, Holly Block Social Justice Curator at the Bronx Museum, the call is open to works of all forms and disciplines. Submissions that will be considered can range from studio art and design, film projects and publishing practices, sound and noise compositions. This year's edition of the Biennial will not be limited to our New York space, also encompassing digital formats in order to accommodate those with limited mobility and those who are immuno-compromised.
A.I.R. Gallery155 Plymouth StreetBrooklyn, NY 11201
$35.00 (REMINDER: APPLICATION FEE WILL INCREASE TO $40 AFTER SEPTEMBER 1ST)
- Images must be JPG files only.
- Each image may not exceed 1MB and 1000 pixels in any direction.
- Images MUST be oriented properly (ex: top of the image is up).
- Videos must be .MOV or MP4 format only and must not exceed 3 minutes in length.
- Videos must not contain the artist name.
- Text submissions must be in PDF format
- Sound submissions must be in MP3 format
- THIS IS A BLIND REVIEW. Absolutely none of the submitted materials may include the artist's name—the artist's name may not appear in the file name or body of images, statement, CV, or any other submitted files. If a submitted file contains or is titled with the artist's name, the submission will be disqualified and the artist will not be permitted to apply until the next Biennial cycle.
- You must fill in all fields and upload at least 3 images in order for your application to be complete.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Applications will be reviewed in OCTOBER 2020. Please DO NOT call the gallery about your application status.
155 Plymouth Street
Brooklyn, NY 23225