Society for Photographic Education / Deadline: 06/01/13
SPE's 51st annual national conference will take place March 6-9, 2014, in Baltimore, MD. SPE welcomes session proposals from member photographers, writers, educators, curators, historians and professionals from other fields. Topics are not required to be theme-based, and may include but are not limited to, imagemaking, history, contemporary theory and criticism, multidisciplinary approaches, new technologies, effects of media and culture, educational issues, funding, and presentations of work in photography, film, video, performance and installation.
• Graduate Student – short presentation of your own artistic work and a brief introduction to your graduate program
(must be enrolled in graduate program at time of submission)
• Imagemaker – presentation on your own artistic work
• Lecture – presentation on historical topic, theory, or another artist's work
• Panel Discussion – panelists (maximum of four) led by a moderator to discuss a chosen topic.
• Teaching & Learning – presentations, workshops, demos that addresses educational issues, including teaching resources and strategies (syllabi, videos, assignments, readings, class prep/setup, and PowerPoint presentations); curricula to serve diverse artists and changing student populations; seeking promotion and tenure; avoiding burnout; and professional exchange
Deadline: June 1, 2013 11:59 pm EST
2014 SPE National Conference
Current SPE members are eligible to submit a proposal for consideration. Individuals who have presented at two SPE national conferences since 2011 (Atlanta) are not eligible. To join SPE visit https://www.spenational.org/members/join.
How to Submit
• Confirm or renew your SPE membership.
• Create an account at http://spenational.slideroom.com and follow the instructions provided.
For technical support, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Submit portfolio (there will be a $10 fee per submission) in one of the five possible formats.
• Include name, address, phone, email, title of submission, additional speakers/panelists.
All additional speakers must be confirmed at time of submission.
• A 500-word abstract detailing the work submitted
• A 250-word biographical summary for each intended participant
• Up to 20 images around 1280 x 1280 px at 72 ppi
Accepted presenters are eligible to receive a discounted rate on conference registration. (Co-presenters for graduate, imagemaker, lecture and teaching & learning presentations are not eligible for discounted rates.) Panel presentations are eligible for up to four discounted registrations (one moderator and up to three panelists). Current membership is required to participate as a conference presenter, co-presenter or panelist.
Special Award Details
Applicants to the Imagemaker track will be considered for the SPE Imagemaker Award, a cash award granted to first-time imagemaker presenters demonstrating outstanding achievement as determined by the peer review committee. Applicants to the Lecture track will be considered for the SPE Award for Excellence in Historical, Critical and Theoretical Writing. The cash award, originated in honor of Jennifer Yamashiro, recognizes excellence in writing in the field of photography among the Society's members.
All submissions are reviewed by a 10 member peer review panel, which forwards recommendations to the 2014 conference committee. The National Board's Executive Committee approves the final conference program to assure the broadest representation of concerns in the field.
2530 Superior Ave #403
Cleveland, OH 44114
Help us Recognize the Achievements of our Membership!
Submit a recommendation for 2017 Insight Award and Honored Educator. All nominations due July 1st @ 5PM EST. Visit the call for entry page of our website for more information.
Thank you to all the 2017 Proposal Applicants!
Notification letters will be sent by September 1, 2016