Society for Photographic Education / Deadline: 11/08/12
SPE student members can apply for scholarships to offset the cost of attending SPE's 2013 national conference. All awards include a 2013 national conference fee waiver and a one-year membership to SPE.
Ten SPE Awards are offered and feature a $500 travel stipend to attend the national conference.
THE SPE AWARD FOR INNOVATIONS IN IMAGING in honor of Jeannie Pearce
The SPE Award for Innovations in Imaging, in honor of Jeannie Pearce is open to all eligible students working primarily with digital technology and is designated for work only possible because of emerging digital technologies-no alternative processes or gelatin silver prints. A project description describing how the work is possible as a result of emerging digital technologies is required as part of the submission process. Jurors will seek to award work that demonstrates the most innovative, unique, and freshest uses of digital technologies.
50th Anniversary SPE National Conference
March 7-10, 2013, in Chicago, IL
There will be a $10 fee for submitting a portfolio
- Applicants must be currently matriculated students enrolled at a post-secondary institution as an undergraduate or graduate student
majoring/concentrating in photography not graduating before the end of the academic year 2012-2013.
- Applicants must be student members of SPE or become members before submitting their scholarship application.
Visit www.spenational.org for information.
- Applicants are not eligible to receive the same award for two consecutive years, and cannot receive two awards in one year.
Submit online via http://spenational.slideroom.com.
Prepare to submit the following:
- A cohesive body of work with no more than FIVE images. Images around 1280 x 1280 px @ 72 ppi are ideal for good image quality and fast upload
- A succinct artist statement of 200 words or less
- A statement addressing how attendance at the conference will benefit you, as well as an overview of prior involvement with SPE or other arts organizations
- A description of the conceptual basis of your work and its technical qualities, including a description of processes used
- A brief resume, including name, address, phone number, email address and current institutional affiliation, and educational and professional experience
- Contact information for a current photography professor (include name, title, email, and phone number)
- Applications that do not fulfill all requirements may be
eliminated from the competition.
ALL SPE Student Awards including the SPE award for innovations in imaging in honor of Jeannie Pearce include a $500 travel stipend to attend the 2013 SPE national conference, a 2013 national conference fee waiver and one-year SPE membership.
Juror: This year's jurors are SPE national board members serving on the Awards and Recognition Committee: Lupita Murillo Tinnen (chair), Sama Alshaibi, Dornith Doherty, Dennis Keeley, and Betsy Schneider
SPE National Exhibition: Sonja Thomsen, "Your White Light"
An undulating narrative evolves around the experience of seeing and the elusiveness of knowledge. The effect is to draw us closer to the truth, only to find that knowledge is in constant flux. On-view through March 28, 2016.
2016 SPE National Conference