Location: Lewisburg, PA
Posted: February 26, 2020
Application Deadline: April 27, 2020
One Dent Drive
Lewisburg, PA, 17837
Job no: 496552
Position type: part-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Academic Affairs, Other
The Art Assistant in Photography teaches undergraduate students during non-classroom hours, ensures safe access to the equipment and chemicals and maintenance of both analog and digital photography labs as well as the lighting studio. The person in this position creates a supportive learning environment. The Art Assistant also ensures the safe student use of the facility on nights and weekends. The Art Assistant helps students with technical issues on projects, maintains equipment and materials, orders supplies, performs maintenance on the photographic equipment.
This is a one-year position, from approximately mid-August to early May, with the possibility of renewal for a second year (contingent upon favorable evaluations). This is a 25-hour per week, limited benefits eligible position. This position is an excellent stepping-stone for a student who has recently completed their undergraduate studies or is about to graduate, and who is interested in pursuing an MFA in studio art but prefers a few additional years to develop a stronger portfolio and gain experience. The Art Assistant hired for this position will have 24/7 access to the photo facilities to work on their own projects when not involved in Art Assistant duties.
As a role model in the classroom, the Art Assistant must exhibit a high level of professionalism, be punctual, and respond promptly to emails and other inquiries.
1. Ensures the maintenance and safe student use of enlargers, silver and non-silver photographic chemicals, professional lighting equipment such as strobes and diffused soft boxes, department owned high-end Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras, extra-large inkjet printers, and medium format film cameras.
2. Assists with Photography I, Photography II, Photography III, Digital Photography as well as Video Art and Installation courses, monitoring students in and out of class to oversee both the Analog and Digital Photography Lab and the Lighting Studio.
3. Ensures safe access to the equipment and chemicals located in both analog and digital photo labs by providing expert knowledge and help to the students both in and out of class.
4. Provide students with extensive instruction on how to use the aforementioned equipment and chemicals safely and efficiently.
5. Performs work in the maintenance, inventory, and procurement of equipment and supplies.
1. Bachelor's degree in photography.
2. Experience in analog and digital processes as well as printing, lighting, and studio applications.
3. Excellent communication skills.
1. Experience in video production.
1. Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds.
2. Ability to move equipment around.
3. Use proper safety equipment for head, eyes, hands, and body protection.
4. Exposure to photographic chemicals, acids, etc.
To apply, please submit the following required documents -
1) A cover letter, addressing your interst in this opportunity and what makes you a strong candidate for the position.
2) A resume, outlining all of your employment history, including art-related and non-art-related work.
3) A portfolio consisting of 20 JPEG images, and a document that lists the title, year completed, materials, and dimensions for each work of art. Please email the JPEGs and document to Tulu Bayar, Professor of Art and Chair, Department of Art and Art History, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, if you have a website or portfolio, then please include a link to it in your cover letter.
Review of applications will begin April 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 20 Feb 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/dstxkd2tfpgdjqdm