Cuba is a country transitioning from strict communism to a more relaxed form of it. At the same time, sexual minorities in this macho-inclined country are becoming more visible and less despised. I met Amanda, Nomi and Malu at the Las Vegas Club in Havana. I was moved and very grateful to them for their generosity for showing me their lives, without embarrassment or resentment for the difficulties they encounter. Instead, through sharing their time with me Amanda and Nomi offered me their Havana, and their community.
1. Lady and Laura, at the Las Vegas Club, Havana
2. Performer at the Las Vegas Club, Havana
3. Nomi in a hotel lobby, Havana
4. Nomi and Miguel in the mirror, at Malu’s apartment, Havana
5. Nomi and Miguel, partners, watching television at Malu’s apartment, Havana
6. Amanda at home wearing Eiffel Tower T-shirt, Havana
7. Amanda’s sofa, Havana
8. In Amanda’s bedroom, Havana
9. Amanda, at the Malecón, Havana
10. Anais De Trevis aka Arnoldo, performer, outside the apartment he shares with his partner, Enrique, Havana
11. Paloma with her boyfriend at Mi Cayito beach, near Havana
12. Miguel observing Amanda and Henry, at Malu’s apartment, Havana
13. Miguel at a barber shop, Havana
14. “Socialismo Siempre” sign
15. Nomi living at a friend’s house, with friend’s father, Havana
16. Laura at home, Havana
17. Rapunzel, fifteen years old, Havana
18. Tattoo artist’s mirror, Cienfuegos
19. Sheila at her aunt’s apartment, Ciego de Avila
20. The view from Natalie’s window, Havana
21. Malu with her parents and sister, in front of their home, Cienfuegos
22. Erika at home, Cienfuegos
23. Wendy at home, Havana
24. Walking at night, Havana
25. Waiting for customers, Havana
26. Orlando, dressmaker, with partner, Yosvany, Havana
27. Charito at home with one-week-old piglet, Camagüey
28. Alsola, Santiago de Cuba
Become an SPE Partner
The SPE Partners program offers three packages which provide flexible opportunities for schools, businesses, and nonprofit organizations to subsidize faculty, staff, students, and broader community participation in SPE.
Exhibit with SPE!
Learn more about sponsor & exhibitor opportunities for the 56th Annual Conference in Cleveland, OH!