WORKSHOP: Introduction To Precision Digital Negatives & Platinum/Palladium Printing
Convenient for People Attending the Society for Photographic Education's 2012 Conference in San Francisco
Related Member: Mark Nelson
This workshop will focus on fine printmaking with the platinum & palladium-one of the most beautiful historical printmaking processes. Not only will you learn the PDN system and use it to successfully make beautiful Platinum/Palladium prints, but also you should go home with the knowledge and skills to use this system with your own workflow and equipment for Platinum/Palladium and other alternative photographic printing processes.
We will cover:
1. Calibration of the alternative process to make a digital negative.
2. Conversion of RGB images to monochrome.
3. A simple workflow for preparing images to make negatives.
4. Crafting digital negatives.
5. Making PDN adjustment curves with Curve Calculator II.
6. Fine tuning the curve for you prints.
7. The best methods of tweaking chemistry & negative to make the perfect print.
8. How to control humidity & moisture, the most important variable in PT/PD printmaking
9. Maximizing tonality in prints.
10 How to coat, print, and successfully process Platinum & Palladium prints-it's foolproof!
General Information For Sausalito Workshops
Each workshop requires a $300 advance deposit to secure your space and all workshop spaces will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis to whoever sends their deposit first. They expect the workshops to fill rapidly, so if you are interested, respond immediately! If a workshop fills before you can register, you can get your name on a waiting list in case there is a cancellation, which can occur at the very last minute.
The balance of the workshop fee will be due 2 weeks prior to the workshop. Lab Fees will be due the first day of the workshop.
Cancellation Policy: If you cancel after 30 days or less prior to the workshop, I will return you deposit IF I am able to fill your slot. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the workshop, I will return your full workshop fee only IF I am able to fill your slot.
You can sign up by emailing Mark Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that he bill you via PayPal for the deposit. Please indicate which workshop(s) you wish to sign up for. You do not need a PayPal account to do this. You can use a credit card on PayPal. He does not process credit cards personally or keep any credit card information.
Note that each workshop has a lab fee that will be determined this fall at the time he order workshop supplies. Prices for materials can vary a lot, especially the metal salts. Usually the lab fees run around $100. All Platinum/Palladium workshops utilize the Palladium with Na2 (Platinum Salt) for contrast control.
There are only 4 requirements for the workshops:
1. You must have a basic working knowledge of Photoshop. This is very important.
3. You must bring a laptop computer with Photoshop installed.
4. You must get my book, Precision Digital Negatives for Silver & Other Alternative Photographic Processes, and read it before the workshop: www.PrecisionDigitalNegatives.com.
No prior experience with Platinum/Palladium printing is required except for the Advanced Printmaking Workshop. No prior experience with Photopolymer Gravure or Intaglio Printing is required. All workshops involve a LOT of hands on experiences!
The workshops will be held in Ed Carey's studio located at: 469b Coloma Street, Sausalito, CA 94965. The workshop daily schedule will run 9 am to 5 pm.
Each workshop will include the current information and workflows that Mark Nelson is using with his own printmaking.