Location: Ames, IA
Posted: October 06, 2021
Application Deadline: December 05, 2021
Iowa State University
Ames, IA, 50011
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Department of Art and Visual Culture in the College of Design at Iowa State University is offering a tenure-track position in fine art photography and time-based media starting August 2022.
Qualified candidates must bring a broad perspective on photography as well as the ability to teach both analog and digital technologies. The candidate may have experience in experimental/alternative photographic processes or time-based media. The successful candidate is expected to teach 5 courses per year (undergraduate and graduate levels) that include studio courses and seminars in all areas of photographic media as well as contributing to teaching in the interdisciplinary collegiate programs in the College of Design. The successful candidate will work with a diverse group of students from multiple design disciplines with a range of skill levels. The position responsibilities will also include scholarship and research in the area of the candidate's expertise; student advising; service on department, college and university committees; and administration of photography studio including darkroom equipment.
• Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree or equivalent
• Evidence of successful college level teaching experience
• Demonstrated evidence of professional accomplishment
• Experience in administering photography studio
• Evidence of successful college level teaching experience beyond graduate assistantship
• Experience with experimental/alternative photographic processes and/or time-based media
• Thorough knowledge of contemporary trends in photography
Department/Program & College Description:
The Department of Art and Visual Culture promotes an engaged, diverse, and comprehensive learning environment in the visual arts. Our undergraduate and graduate degree programs prepare students to understand and develop their ability to impact social, cultural, and physical environments they are shaping and influencing. Exposure to historical and contemporary art movements combined with traditional and innovative studio skills and shared studio pedagogy, prepares undergraduate students with a basis in artistic thought and professional practice. We emphasize the strong observation and communication skills necessary for success in visual arts-related careers or advanced study.Our graduate program provides a supportive environment for individual artistic development. It promotes conceptual and technical education encouraging critical inquiry, excellence, an understanding of the history of art, and an experimental approach toward each media.
Iowa State University is an EO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, diability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply directly for this position, please click https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/IowaStateJobs/details/Assistant-Professor-of-Photography_R6431-1 and complete the Employment Application.
Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
3) Contact information for three professional references (upon submission of your application, an automatic e-mail will be generated and sent to each reference requesting that they upload a letter of recommendation to the system)
4) Artist Statement
5) Statement of Teaching Philosophy
6) Link to online portfolio of your creative work (title, date, media)
7) A pdf portfolio of 20 labeled images of work by your students (title, date, media)
8) A diversity statement providing evidence of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching and/or community outreach and engagement
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please email Sarah Kyle, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-7416. If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-480 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.