Location: Remote working,
Posted: February 02, 2021
Application Deadline: March 01, 2021
Society for Photographic Education
Remote working, https://www.spenational.org/
The Society for Photographic Education (SPE) is searching for an experienced Administrative Director who is passionate about photography and supports SPE's vision of fostering dialogue about photography in all of its forms and related media.
Full job description can be downloaded here- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OFYqvsITQANg7X75nZUORpAnGcA3uVhd/view?usp=sharing
The Administrative Director is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the SPE organization. The position requires strong organization skills and the capacity to identify problems and independently solve them.
The Administrative Director should expect to receive and respond to requests for information from many people within the organization including SPE Board members, SPE Chapter and Caucus leaders, and SPE vendors and sponsors. In addition, the Administrative Director serves as the main point of contact for SPE's members and inquiries from outside the organization. The duties of the Administrative Director may change over time, depending on the needs of the organization.
This is a fully remote position with occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
SPE is a diverse membership organization that includes photographers, artists, educators, students, curators, critics, and historians. Through its programs and services, including lectures, workshops, conferences, and exhibitions, the organization aims to promote a wider understanding of photography and foster development of its practice, teaching, scholarship, and critical analysis. We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values. The organization strives to create a welcoming community for all of its stakeholders and assumes the good intentions of those with whom we collaborate and interact.
A key member of SPE's organizational structure, the Administrative Director is responsible for the following:
Membership (25% time)
● Manage SPE's database, which includes members, SPE partners, and regional and national conference registrants
● Manage membership renewal process
● Process membership and event registration
● Preparation of SPE membership reports
Finance (25% time)
● Aid SPE bookkeeper in managing routine financial transactions in QuickBooks and ensure that entries are coded correctly
● Aid SPE Treasurer and SPE bookkeeper in maintaining financial records
● Prepare SPE financial reports, as needed
● Work with SPE Treasurer on preparing annual budget
● Collect tax forms from contracted individuals and companies
● Maintain and process mailing list rentals
● Process and ship online orders of SPE merchandise
SPE Website and Technology (20% time)
● Maintain and update SPE website in collaboration with SPE Executive Committee
● Communicate with website hosting firm
● Maintain all SPE accounts for virtual events and video conferences
● Oversee registration for virtual and in-person events through SPE's registration portal
Marketing and Communications (10% time)
● Field inquiries received from SPE's phone, mail, website, and various SPE email accounts and forward all communications to relevant Board members or SPE committees
● Write and manage SPE e-newsletter in collaboration with SPE Communications committee.
● Participate with social media accounts, as needed
● Provide and update opportunities, membership statistics, and content for SPE publications including members e-newsletters, biennial Annual reports, and SPE event programs
Board Collaboration (10% time)
● Work collaboratively with and in support of the SPE Board and its committees
● Assist with Board elections and governance, including communication with nominees
● Update board resource materials in collaboration with Executive Committee and other Committee chairs
● Assist Board committees with membership and financial reports, as needed
● Maintain and update all cloud-based folders for board and committee documents, meeting notes, contact info sheets, etc.
● Keep and maintain records of all SPE-owned physical assets and paper documents
● Serve as liaison to, and update as needed, SPE archive at the Center for Creative Photography (Tuscon, AZ)
Chapter and Caucus Collaboration (10% time)
● Manage the centralized chapter accounting systems in collaboration with the SPE bookkeeper (pay bills, collect receipts, reimbursements, provide accounting records, etc.)
● Order and cancel SPE credit cards for Chapter treasurers
● Solicit and gather annual chapter reports
● Update Chapter and Caucus resource guides annually
● Assist in transition of new Chapter and Caucus leadership
● Provide Chapter and Caucus event support, as needed
● Deliver up to date mailing lists for Chapter and Caucus e-blasts
● Complete bi-annual chapter number reports
● At least three years of office administration (or equivalent) experience
● Bachelor's Degree desired
● Broad knowledge of the field of photography and photo education
● Ability to communicate effectively
● Strong organizational, problem solving, and time-management skills
● Ability to handle multiple assignments and work independently
● Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
● Ability to build relationships with SPE's diverse range of stakeholders
● Self-starting, creative, and have a strong attention to detail
● Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office (or similar office suite), QuickBooks, Zoom, and social media platforms
● Graphic Design experience and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus, but not required
Salary range $42,000 - $47,000, depending on experience. Monthly stipend available to offset necessary work from home expenses.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to
email@example.com. We will accept applications until the position is filled and encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The Society for Photographic Education is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of an individual's race, sex, gender identify, sexual orientation, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
Become an SPE Partner
The SPE Partners program offers three packages which provide flexible opportunities for schools, businesses, and nonprofit organizations to subsidize faculty, staff, students, and broader community participation in SPE.
Have a great assignment or resource to share? Submit it to our Teaching Tools!