Location: Chicago, IL
Posted: December 30, 2020
Application Deadline: November 30, 2020
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 S Wabash St
Chicago, IL, 60603
For more than 150 years, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) has been a leader in educating the world's most influential artists, designers and scholars. Located in downtown Chicago with a fine arts graduate program consistently ranking among the top four graduate fine arts programs in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, SAIC provides an interdisciplinary approach to art and design as well as world-class resources, including the Art Institute of Chicago museum, on-campus galleries and state-of-the-art facilities. SAIC's undergraduate, graduate and post-baccalaureate students have the freedom to take risks and create the bold ideas that transform Chicago and the world—as seen through notable alumni and faculty such as Michelle Grabner, David Sedaris, Elizabeth Murray, Richard Hunt, Georgia O'Keeffe, Cynthia Rowley, Nick Cave, and LeRoy Neiman.
The Instructional Facility Supervisor manages and supervises the SAIC Photography Department facilities student employees and locations during evening and weekend operating hours. Provide instructional support to Photo Department faculty and students. Train and supervise student workers to provide patron assistance in labs and facilities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and provide continuous daily management and training of 16 to 20 student employees in operation of the Photo Facilities.
2. Provide continuity from morning shifts to evening shifts for student workers and Photo Facilities users. Act as ranking department supervisor during evening and weekend hours. * Hours may be subject to change due to School and Instructional Resources and Facilities Management (IRFM) operational hours.
3. Provide instructional support on proper use of photography lab equipment and procedures for faculty & students.
4. Provide technical supports for the Photo department's field equipment in 280 Media Center. Provide instructional supports and maintenance. Coordinate shipping to and coordination with vendors and repair technicians as necessary.
5. Monitor analog photo chemistry and lab safety. Train student employees in proper mixing procedures and disposal.
6. Provide active support and instruction on all available analog and digital photography tools and processes as needed . Includes printing and computer support.
7. Research and recommend new equipment purchases. Stay current with technological advances and trends. Consult with facility users to maintain relevant, high-quality equipment and resources for the SAIC Photo Department.
8. Act as liaison for Continuing Studies and approved non-Photo department patrons for use of Photography Facilities and resources.
9. Support Photography department equipment, facilities and instructional classroom usage.
Bachelor's degree in Photography, or equivalent experience in analog and digital photo production and processing. Proficiency in all aspects of traditional black & white processes, tools and resources. Experience with digital imaging; including capture and output systems and image editing software. Knowledge of a wide range of camera systems including film cameras as well as digital imaging systems. Strong analytical and organizational skills. Excellent administrative, written and oral communication skills. Strong capability in independent work. Ability to explain technical concepts to individuals and groups of varying degrees of technical proficiency. Previous supervisory experience a plus.
Apply online at https://www.artic.edu/careers/employment-2