Location: Logan, UT
Posted: January 08, 2020
Application Deadline: February 10, 2020
Utah State University
0160 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT, (435) 797-1000
Requisition ID: 2019-2217
# of Openings: 1
Category (Portal Searching): Faculty
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Job Classification: Faculty
College: Caine College of Arts
Department: Art & Design
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
The Department of Art + Design at Utah State University offers a tenure track, 9-month, Assistant Professor position in the photography program. The successful candidate will have teaching experience at the university level, strong technical knowledge, and the ability to develop and sustain an active program of creative activity. The candidate will also demonstrate a commitment to shared oversight of equipment and facilities, and a commitment to support and build the photography program. Review of applications will begin February 10, 2020 and position will remain open until filled with an anticipated start date of August 2020.
Engage in academic scholarship, which may include grant writing and conducting/publishing/exhibiting high-quality research or creative activity in area of expertise. Teach undergraduate and graduate level photography courses. Show commitment to teaching and working with students from diverse populations. Oversee the photography lab and equipment and participate in department, college, and university service.
• MFA in photography or other terminal degree in relevant field
• At least three years of teaching experience as instructor of record at the university level or equivalent teaching experience
• Ability to teach alternative photographic processes in a wet darkroom
• Evidence of a successful and ongoing record of research or creative endeavors
• Ability to teach analog and digital photography
• Extensive knowledge of contemporary art and photography
• Experience managing photography equipment and studio facilities
• Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Competency in advanced digital media as well as video art
• Ability to assist in student recruitment at undergraduate and graduate levels
• Knowledge of the theories and history of photography
• Strong proficiency with digital and analogue printing technologies
Along with the online application, please attach:
1) Resume/CV to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under "Resume/CV".
2) Names and contact information for three relevant professional references to be entered at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile.
3) Portfolio of creative activity & research (up to 20 images) in PDF format with an image list including medium, size, and dates to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under "Documents".
4) Portfolio of student work (up to 20 images) in PDF format with an image list including medium, size, and dates to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under "Documents".
5) Cover Letter to be typed/pasted at the end of your application.
6) Statement of Teaching Philosophy to be typed/pasted at the end of your application.
Finalists will be asked to make public presentations.
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB. Multiple documents are permitted.**
To apply: https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/2217/assistant-professor-of-photography/job?mobile=false&width=1200&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240
Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Employees typically work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes.
The Caine College of the Arts seeks to make the arts more visible, more innovative, and more fully integrated into the intellectual life of Utah State University and the communities it serves. The Caine College of the Arts is a collaborative community, representing the collective strengths and voices of the arts and offers a means for connecting people and programs. The Caine College of the Arts offers: a visiting artist program that brings to campus nationally and internationally renowned artists and designers, award-winning faculty members, a world-class performance hall, internship assignments with prominent artists and designers, and international study opportunities. The Caine College of the Arts includes the Departments of Art + Design, Music, and Theatre Arts, and is closely affiliated with the Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art on the USU campus.
Housed in the Caine College of the Arts at USU and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), the Department of Art + Design has a century-long history and a suite of well-established and highly regarded programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. (Please see art.usu.edu for a complete listing of all academic programs in the department and their curricula.) During the 2018-19 academic year, the department begins programing in the newly remodeled Tippetts and Eccles Galleries, part of a 2-year, $26M renovation of the Chase Fine Arts Center that was completed in October. The department also works closely with the Executive Director and Chief Curator of the Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art to engage students from across the university in arts programming. In addition to programs on the Logan Campus, the department has faculty on the USU Eastern campuses in Price and Blanding, Utah, and delivers courses by electronic and hybrid instructional systems to USU's six other regional campuses and numerous county centers around the state.
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is honored to be Utah's land-grant and space-grant university. USU is a Carnegie RU/H (Research University/High Research Activity) institution with approximately 28,000 students (25,000 undergraduates and 3,000 graduate students) on the Logan main campus, four regional campuses, two USU Eastern campuses, and 28 centers throughout the state. USU offers 162 undergraduate majors, 153 graduate programs, and a variety of innovative stackable associate and certificate credentials. The 2018 rankings from Washington Monthly ranked USU as one of the top 30 national Universities and the 5th best public national university in the nation. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU is proud to provide a high-quality education at an affordable price. Additional information about Utah State University can be found at: https://www.usu.edu/about/at-a-glance/.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah; a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region. Additional information about Logan can be found at: http://www.loganutah.org/visitors/about_logan/index.php.
USU recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the university's academic mission of learning, discovery, and engagement (https://www.usu.edu/president/missionstatement/). USU is an AA/EO employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity/expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy or local, state, or federal law. Learn more at https://equity.usu.edu/. USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program. Additional information can be found at: http://www.usu.edu/provost/faculty-life/dual-career-assistance.cfm.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/n76k7psm849bvr6j