Location: Baltlimore, MD
Posted: October 11, 2018
Application Deadline: October 31, 2018
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Teresa Reese Reese
1000 Hilltop Circle, Library Administration , Rm 353
Baltlimore, MD, 21250
The Albin O Kuhn Library & Gallery at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County seeks an experienced manager to become a key member of the Library Executive Team and to provide future vision, oversight, leadership and strategic direction for the library's information technology infrastructure including the exploration, integration and implementation of new and emerging technologies.
This permanent status-eligible full-time, non-tenure track library faculty position at the rank of Librarian II reports to the Library Director. The Associate Director works closely with the UMBC Division of Information Technology (DoIT) to advise library leadership on current, new and emerging library applications and knowledge systems that will advance the library's vision, mission and strategic plan (https://library.umbc.edu/admin/StrategicPlan2018.pdf) Working in a collaborative library and university environment, the Associate Director will manage a full time staff of 4 and student workers. Competitive candidates will have three or more years of progressively responsible experience supporting information technology, including project management and management over a technical support organization.
Candidates are expected to have a strong record of supervisory effectiveness that reflects mentorship and the professional development of direct reports. Competitive candidates are expected to possess a thorough understanding of current information technologies and a knowledge of widely-used hardware, software applications, resources and techniques in an academic environment and should also be able to demonstrate an ability to initiate, manage and complete technology projects.
UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds, including women, under-represented minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. The Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery value diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and background and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. Interest and experience in working with a diverse student and staff population is valued.
• Leads the library's investigation and implementation of emerging technology to better serve library's clientele.
• Develops a technology plan that builds on the University and Library strategic plans to address new opportunities and pursue possibilities of adapting and applying technology solutions.
• In collaboration with the Director and Associate Directors, participates in library planning; serves on library-wide, university and university system committees and task forces including the Library Executive Council.
• Represents the UMBC Library on appropriate state, regional and national committees.
• Represents the UMBC Library in the adoption and technical integration of new University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions technology projects.
• Works in partnership with the campus DoIT for discovery, planning and implementation of new technology and insures that library systems and computing are robust and operational.
• Keeps current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current technologies and costs.
• Provides leadership in coordinating and defining technology requirements for library-wide projects and initiatives.
• Oversees Library Information Technology Services composed of library faculty and staff and student employees and works with other areas of the library and university that are affiliated with technology.
• ALA accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
• Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in IT-related project management in an academic library setting.
• Demonstrated experience and scholarship to be eligible for appointment at the rank of Librarian II and to meet the university requirements for reappointment, promotion, and permanent status as outlined in part 6.6 of the Faculty Handbook https://provost.umbc.edu/faculty-handbook
• Experience with library technologies and technology planning and demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends.
• Demonstrated experience in implementing new technologies or services, e.g. virtual servers, immersive technologies, and maker spaces.
• Strong analytical and decision making skills.
• Minimum 3 years of experience managing and developing staff.
• Proven leadership and management skills.
• Proven experience working in a collaborative team environment.
• Ability to work collaboratively across the University to advance the technology needs of the library and library users.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably and personably both verbally and in writing.
• Knowledge and understanding of significant trends and issues in the application of information technology to libraries and higher education, including research support and information management services and solutions.
• Experience working with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, client side computing and cloud technology.
• Experience developing IT policies for workflows and software support.
• Experience working with assistive technology for accommodation and accessibility.
• Demonstrated record of participation in relevant professional associations and ongoing professional development.
• Experience working with a larger campus information and computing group.
• Experience working in a consortia of libraries.