Location: Rockville, MD
Posted: March 01, 2018
Application Deadline: March 30, 2018
9221 Corporate Boulevard
Rockville, MD, 20850
Montgomery College (Maryland), Takoma Park/Silver Spring is seeking a full-time art faculty member to fill a position for fall 2018. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner to join our vibrant arts community. The Department of Visual and Performing Arts encompasses several artistic fields. We offer classes in dance, film, music, theater, graphic design, and visual arts. The department presents twelve art exhibitions, produces two theater productions; and offers numerous dance and music concerts in our outstanding facilities each year.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Teach studio courses in all levels of digital and darkroom photography.
• Teach studio courses in foundations and/or digital arts.
• Teach 30 semester hours per academic year of courses related to the discipline.
• Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include day, night, early morning, weekend, accelerated sections, and/or online courses. Opportunities may exist for teaching summer classes.
• Serve on or lead department, discipline, campus, and college committees.
• Provide academic advising to students.
• Participate in recruitment and retention activities for the department.
• Maintain an active program of professional development and participate in professional organizations and activities.
• A Master of Fine Arts (or equivalent degree) in visual arts.
• College-level teaching experience in the visual arts. (Graduate school experience is acceptable, but applicant must have been the instructor of record.)
• Experience teaching college-level darkroom and/or digital photography.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate computer/digital technology into course delivery.
• Evidence of ongoing professional activity in the visual arts.
• Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
• Experience in teaching, or demonstrated ability to teach, all levels of black and white fine art photography.
• Experience in teaching, or demonstrated ability to teach, digital fine art photography.
• Experience in teaching, or demonstrated ability to teach, digital media courses.
• Experience in teaching, or demonstrated ability to teach, art foundations courses.
• Experience coordinating, or demonstrated ability to coordinate, a black and white darkroom.
• Experience teaching online courses.
• Experience working with students of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• Experience supporting underprepared students.
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit and requires payment of dues or a service fee.
• Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
• Online applications must be received by March 30, 2018.
In addition to the online MC application, applicant must upload the following 3 PDFs to Dropbox.com at https://www.dropbox.com/request/couXVPwpQKA1VoCMXq85. All files must be uploaded by the March 30, 2018 deadline.
1. One pdf containing, in this order: a cover letter, CV/Resume, artist statement, list of college-level credit courses taught, sample course syllabus, and sample project description. (Filename: Lastname_writtendocs)
2. A second pdf containing: Up to 20 images (including details) of personal professional work. Each image should be identified with title, media, dimensions, and year of completion. Image portfolio may be accompanied with up to 4 minutes of video.
3. A third pdf containing: Up to 20 images of student work for which the applicant was instructor of record. Each image should be identified with course title, media, and a brief description (50 words or less) of the assignment objectives.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
• Successful completion of a background check
• Participation in a retirement plan
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Become an SPE Partner
The SPE Partners program offers three packages which provide flexible opportunities for schools, businesses, and nonprofit organizations to subsidize faculty, staff, students, and broader community participation in SPE.
Exhibit with SPE!
Learn more about sponsor & exhibitor opportunities for the 56th Annual Conference in Cleveland, OH!