Location: Detroit, MI
Posted: January 31, 2018
Application Deadline: March 31, 2018
College for Creative Studies
201 E Kirby
Detroit, MI, 48202
The College for Creative Studies (CCS) invites applications for a full-time faculty member in photography. This position reports to the Chair of the Photography Department within the Undergraduate Studies Division. The faculty member is responsible for providing appropriate pedagogy to ensure student success in the field and assisting the Department Chair in expanding and growing the department. The full-time faculty member works with the Department Chair to provide ongoing evaluation and enhancement of the current program curriculum as well as contributes to new curriculum and program development. The full-time faculty member takes an active role in the CCS learning community at large and maintains an active engagement in research and professional practice. The faculty member teaches three courses per semester. Rank and compensation are commensurate with experience. Start date: Fall 2018.
The CCS Photography Department offers students a balanced blend of traditional techniques and digital training, including video and motion graphics. Students develop a unique photographic style through a combination of refined fine art skills and applied commercial studio training. The Department possesses comprehensive facilities to accommodate the entire range of photographic practice, including black-and-white and color darkrooms, large- and small-format cameras and lenses for both film and digital (including 360˚), shooting stages (several with seamless backdrops in white, black, and gray), lighting equipment, green room, digital labs, printers, and more. The Department currently enrolls 84 undergraduate students.
Position Accountabilities and Essential Functions
• Perform the duties of a full-time faculty member, including teach three classes per semester during the academic year, advise and serve as a mentor to students, serve on faculty committees as assigned, and participate in faculty governance and other activities of the Department and College as requested;
• Uphold high academic standards and encourage the free expression of divergent points of view in class; and
• Maintain a professional practice and personal research agenda to keep abreast of best practices, techniques, and trends in the discipline and ensure that pedagogy at CCS remains at a superior level.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates must possess a terminal degree (MFA or equivalent) in photography at the time of appointment. College-level or post-graduate portfolio school teaching experience is also required.
Additional qualifications include:
• A comprehensive knowledge of the field of photography, including traditional and digital imaging processes, studio lighting, and time-based strategies;
• A minimum of 3-5 years of active/current professional practice or creative/critical scholarship, and an established record of professional success as demonstrated by exhibitions, publications, and/or other evidence of accomplishment;
• At least three years of college-level teaching experience beyond graduate assistantships in both analog and digital imaging encompassing fine art, commercial, editorial, documentary, and multi-media practices with curriculum design and planning highly desirable;
• Advanced knowledge of Photoshop and Lightroom, including nondestructive retouching, color management, and printing with a working knowledge of video and motion graphics software highly desirable.
• An awareness of the social implications of photography and its function in social justice, environment, race, class, gender, and identity;
• Knowledge and commitment to health and safety in the arts;
• Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
• Ability to develop and nurture individual student's artistic abilities;
• A strong commitment to self-learning to maintain or develop new technical expertise as required by changes to contemporary art and design practice; and
• An interest in working collaboratively within the College and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
College for Creative Studies is a nonprofit institution based in Detroit, the only US city to have the UNESCO City of Design designation. It is located in midtown Detroit next to the encyclopedic Detroit Institute of Arts. The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit and other cultural amenities are within walking distance. The College currently enrolls more than 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 12 majors: Advertising Copywriting, Advertising Design, Entertainment Arts, Communication Design, Crafts, Fashion Accessories Design, Fine Arts, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design, and Transportation Design, as well as certification in Art Education. It also offers a Master of Fine Arts in four majors: Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Integrated Design and Transportation Design.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired. Priority will be given to those who apply by March 31, 2018.
A cover letter, resume/CV, statement of teaching philosophy, digital portfolio including samples of professional, independent projects, and student work (if applicable) should be sent to: email@example.com with "Photography Full-Time Faculty" in the subject line.
Photography Department Website: https://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/photography
CCS Website: http://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu
The College for Creative Studies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Become an SPE Partner
The SPE Partners program offers three packages which provide flexible opportunities for schools, businesses, and nonprofit organizations to subsidize faculty, staff, students, and broader community participation in SPE.
Exhibit with SPE!
Learn more about sponsor & exhibitor opportunities for the 56th Annual Conference in Cleveland, OH!