Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posted: November 15, 2017
Application Deadline: January 30, 2018
200 Willoughby Ave
Brooklyn, NY, 11205
The School of Art at Pratt Institute seeks a dynamic collaborative leader to serve as Chairperson of our Photography Department. The department is a recognized leader in photographic education and offers a BFA degree as well as a MFA degree in a soon to be relaunched graduate program that is closely aligned with Fine Arts. The chair will provide academic and artistic leadership by articulating and carrying out a shared vision within a department that has experienced the growth of student enrollment, faculty positions, and public programing in recent years. Applicants should have strong administrative experience and be conversant with contemporary issues in photography and related fields. The chair must have excellent communications skills with an equitable leadership style.
The selected candidate will be expected to advance the goals of the Photography Department through active student recruitment, curriculum development, the development of student opportunities, and faculty development. The chair is responsible for cultivating support for its programs and raising the visibility of the department within Pratt and the larger community. This is an administrative appointment for an initial three-year term that may be renewed for one (or more) three-year terms. At the successful completion of at least six years of service in this role, and if negotiated at the time of appointment, the Chair may choose to move to full-time tenure-track, or tenured, faculty status.
Located on a historic 25-acre landscaped campus in the culturally diverse Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design and information science, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
- Provides vision and leadership for the Photography Department
- Working with the Assistant Chair and the Assistant to the Chair, responsible for all areas of operations, including: strategic planning; program development; course scheduling; budgeting and allocation of resources; accreditation; participation in fundraising and development; establishment of linkages with relevant professional organizations and leading practitioners.
- Working with a Photography Labs Manager, oversees department labs, lighting studio, gallery, and overall facilities management
- Working collaboratively with Photography full-time, adjunct, and visiting faculty, ensures the integrity of the BFA and MFA programs and curriculum development
- Oversees program reviews and internal and external assessment
- Recruits and helps to develop faculty, staff and technicians
- Participates in fundraising and development; establishes linkages with relevant professional organizations and leading practitioners
- Teaches one or two courses each academic year
We require a terminal degree or its equivalent in Photography or a related field. The ideal candidate will have administrative management experience, preferably in higher education; a minimum of five years' college level teaching experience with the rank of Associate or Full Professor preferred; and recognized standing in the field. Applicants must have a significant exhibition history, and/or achievement in publications and scholarship. Demonstrated strong administrative and interpersonal skills with a track record of collaborative undertakings, demonstrated level of inter-cultural competence and ability to work well with diverse populations, understanding of the educational benefits of diversity, and commitment to diversity and inclusion are essential.
SALARY is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications to begin Friday, January 5, 2018 and will continue until position is filled. Please submit your cover letter, CV, link to your website (with viewable work samples), and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at http://tinyurl.com/y9sh8egb
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE
Nominate Your Role Models and Mentors!
Submit a nomination for 2019 Insight Award and Honored Educator. All nominations due July 1st. Visit the call for entry page of our website for more information.
2019 Annual Conference Call for Proposals
Deadline to Submit is June 1, 2018!
Make a Donation
Help to ensure the continuation of our vital community, its programs, and initiatives