Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posted: November 13, 2017
Application Deadline: January 05, 2018
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL, 32306
Assistant Professor of Photography, Tenure-Track
Florida State University, Department of Art
The Department of Art at Florida State University (FSU) welcomes applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Photography within an interdisciplinary art department. This is a tenure-track position with a 3/2 teaching load. The position is eligible for a university research grant for first-year assistant professors of up to $20,000.
The position requires an MFA or equivalent in Studio Art/Photography, an active exhibition record, demonstrated excellence in teaching with strong communication skills, and an understanding of a wide array of artistic and pedagogical methodologies. Photography should be the candidate's primary artistic research within the context of contemporary art. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working across disciplines and will be expected to actively contribute to the growth of the photography concentration within the department.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The position is responsible for research/creative activity, teaching, and service. Primary teaching responsibilities include beginning to advanced undergraduate and graduate studio and seminar courses in contemporary photography, as well as coursework in the BFA and MFA programs. Knowledge of the history, criticism and theories of photography and ability to teach digital editing software and printing are essential. Additional skills in one or more of the following are desirable: lighting, installation, documentary and/or conceptual approaches to photography, and video and time-based media. The position also provides the opportunity for new course development according to the skills and interests of the hire.
DEPARTMENT: The Department of Art confers undergraduate BA, BFA and MFA (3-year) Studio Art degrees. Our programs encourage interdisciplinary investigations across a wide range of concentrations, spanning photography, digital media, painting and drawing, printmaking, photographic and artist books, ceramics and sculpture. The department includes 21 full-time faculty and approximately 12 adjunct faculty. Our current enrollment is approximately 460 undergraduates and 31 graduate students. We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to our department's diversity and excellence, our community, and thrive in a public research university.
FSU is a public, fully accredited, coeducational research institution with the Carnegie Foundation's highest designation, Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, with strong support for faculty research and exhibition and is committed to fostering an academic community of excellence. Collaboration amongst faculty and across departments is highly encouraged through University grants and special facilities like our Facility for Arts Research (FAR).
RANK AND SALARY: Tenure-track Assistant Professor, 9-month appointment. Salary is competitive and negotiable, commensurate with experience. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
1. Candidates must complete an online application at https://jobs.fsu.edu. The FSU Job Opening number is 42625.
2. Candidates must also submit documents and images via Slideroom at: https://fsuart.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/40181
In Slideroom, each item below should be submitted as a separate PDF:
1. Cover letter with contact information (addressed to Photography Search Committee Chair) with names and contact information of 3 references
2. CV, artist statement, and teaching statement (including experience or ability to work with a diverse student body) and relevant syllabi of courses taught (up to 3)
3. List of relevant technical skills and corresponding levels of proficiency for each
4. 20 examples of your recent work with list of titles/dates/media: jpeg images (approx. 1200 ppi on longest side), links to online videos (< 3:00 min each), or links to websites
5. 20 examples of your students' work with list of course title/date for each: images (approx. 1024×768 JPG), links to online videos (< 3:00 min each), or links to websites
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on January 5, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Contact Information: John Mann, Photography Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
FSU is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf