Location: New York, NY
Posted: November 01, 2017
Application Deadline: July 01, 2018
Parsons School of Design - The New School
80 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY, 10011
Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, seeks candidates for Assistant Professor of Photography, a renewable term faculty position in the School of Art, Media and Technology at Parsons.
Candidates should demonstrate expertise in the practice, history and theory of Photography and have experience in a variety of areas in the Photography field including imaging research, and the intersection of photography and other visual arts practices. The Assistant Professor must show evidence of innovation in their pedagogy and be forward-thinking about what skills and literacies are required now to adeptly respond to complex global conditions.
The Assistant Professor may be expected to teach undergraduate as well as graduate courses, and students from a variety of disciplines across Parsons. The teaching load is 5 courses per year, or the equivalent, with at least one course per term within a 'Core' BFA Photography curriculum as well as in First Year. S/he will hold regular office hours, and participate in co-curricular activities on a regular basis (e.g., critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, independent study, advising) as well as contribute to the broader Parsons/New School community by way of committee assignments, project or exhibition coordination, working groups etc. The Assistant Professor is expected to be current in their disciplinary field. The terms and conditions of this faculty appointment are governed by The New School policies as set forth in the Full-Time Faculty Handbook.
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost.
The Assistant Professor must have:
- A terminal degree or demonstrated equivalence in Photography
- 3 years teaching experience at university level, including team teaching and collaborative practices.
- Thorough knowledge of field of Photography; including digital and analog imaging processes, studio lighting, and time-based strategies
- 3-5 years of active/current professional practice or creative/critical scholarship, and an established record of professional accomplishments.
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
- Understanding of the social implications of photography as it relates to social justice issues on environment, race, class, gender and identity.
- An ability to connect the department to external artists and the industry. A broad vision of the department's needs in relation to the demands of the market, and to the artistic potential of the students.
- Interest in developing critical, historical, and theoretical discussions around visual culture and photography's role within it.
- Ability to develop and nurture individual student's design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
- An interest in working collaboratively within Parsons, the University, and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
Special instructions to applicants:
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital portfolio/work samples.
The New School is committed to actively recruiting from a diverse pool of applicants. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Position Start Date: July 2018
Benefits: Comprehensive university benefits package including health and retirement plans, tuition remission. Visit http://www.newschool.edu/hr/benefits/ft-faculty-admin-staff
In addition to a dynamic and progressive work environment, The New School offers a competitive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending accounts and a tuition waiver. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and offer employee assistance services, health and well-being programs and over four weeks of vacation time per year.
Apply with us and discover the rewards and opportunities in working for a world-class, urban university.
Interested candidates must apply online at: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/15131
Nominate Your Role Models and Mentors!
Submit a nomination for 2019 Insight Award and Honored Educator. All nominations due July 1st. Visit the call for entry page of our website for more information.
Make a Donation
Help to ensure the continuation of our vital community, its programs, and initiatives