Submit your photo-story now!
The Other Hundred / Deadline: 08/14/20
The Other Hundred is a global non-profit photojournalism project that aims to introduce readers to people, ideas, places, and cultures overlooked by most major media through 100 winning photo-stories from all over the world and they will be published in a digital photo-book alongside essays by well-known writers.
The latest edition is entitled "Healers". It seeks to celebrate the men, women, and children who are healing their communities during this pandemic through selfless acts. This edition attempts to expand the definition of what it means to heal society during a time of social trauma by looking at the contribution from countless others: teachers, inventors, truck drivers, waste collectors, food vendors, frontliners, volunteers, supermarket staff, etc.
This is a global endeavor, and we welcome submissions from all over the world.
1. One individual can only submit ONE entry.
2. Submissions may be a single photograph or a series of up to 10 photographs.
3. Photos must be taken with a minimum 12-megapixel camera, preferably DSLR. Photos taken with compact digital cameras, film cameras, or camera phones will be accepted provided image quality fulfills the requirements.
4. Photos must be uploaded in JPEG format.
5. Entry photos must at least have a dimension of 1000 pixels on the longer side.
6. Max file size per photo: 10MB.
7. Entry photos must be free of excessive digital manipulation.
8. Entry photos must be taken after December 31, 2019.
9. Only Coronavirus (COVID-19) related entries will be considered.
10. Each entry must be accompanied by a 250-400-word photo-story that tells the story behind the subject(s) – who they are, how they are helping to reduce suffering, and the impact they have had on others.
11. Photographers must know the subjects' names and stories. Entries with photo-stories that identify subjects via general terms will not be selected.
ACCEPTED: Port Officer Li Wan overlooks incoming cargo ships in Qingdao, China, with an astonishingly clear sky in the backdrop. Li has worked at Qingdao's port for over 15 years, and while most of his staff have been mandated to stay at home to minimize infection risk, Li had been given the green light to continue working at a largely deserted port to keep essential supplies coming into Shandong.
NOT SELECTED: A port officer overlooks incoming cargo ships in Qingdao, China to keep essential supplies coming into Shandong during the lockdown.
12. Photo stories must be written in English only.
13. Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have already been published.
14. Once submitted, entries are locked and will not allow further edits. DEADLINE: 14 Aug 2020, 2359 (GMT+8 Kuala Lumpur)
15. By submitting your photos to The Other Hundred, participants agree to grant organizers free of charge the right to use photos for non-profit purposes, including marketing campaigns for The Other Hundred-related activities, even if they are not selected as winning entries.
The Other Hundred is a non-profit initiative, but as an expression of gratitude, a USD 100 prize will be awarded to all 100 winning submissions.
You would also get international media exposure. The Other Hundred has an official media partner in The New York Times, and previous installments have been extensively covered in global media, including the BBC, CNN, Bloomberg NHK, Al Jazeera, and the South China Morning Post. Exhibitions have been held in Hong Kong, China, Dubai, Singapore, and Paris (OECD).
GIFT South East Asia D-23A-05, Menara Suezcap 1 KL Gateway, Bangsar South, No 2. Jalan Kerinchi, Gerbang Kerinchi Lestari
Kuala Lumpur, 59200