Topic of the year: AGE
NGO "Šviesos raštas" / Deadline: 05/29/21
KAUNAS PHOTO, the longest-running annual photographic festival in the Baltic States, based in Kaunas, is a platform of premieres of emerging talents. "Photo World" (China) titled KAUNAS PHOTO as a festival on crossroads of European photography. The current objective is to become a friendly festival to its audience as well as to the participating artists.
In collaboration with LensCulture, KAUNAS PHOTO festival announces an Open Call for its 18th edition, inviting photographers to propose their works and offering exhibiting opportunities as well as participation at New KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award, consisting of a solo exhibition at the largest photography gallery in the Baltic States, Kaunas Photography Gallery and a 2500 EUR monetary prize. Open Call provides opportunities to be selected to the festival exhibition and projection program. All exhibiting artists, selected via KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Open Call will be offered artist fees.
KAUNAS PHOTO festival opening events will start on September 3, 2021 with KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Exhibition. Festival's events and outdoor exhibitions will run until the end of October.
Topic of the year: AGE
"Being young is foolish", one could sometimes hear in Lithuanian elderly say . Or, "new generations are lost to computer screens" and "would be uncapable to survive" in the off-line world. This clash of philosophies is not only based on real-time conditions, but on ways generations see life.
In 2021, KAUNAS PHOTO festival turns eighteen, and enters the adult age. Therefore, it will focus on threshold of coming of age, becoming adult, pros and cons, stories and senses of being small, young, teenage, parent, mid-age, retired, with or without grand-children, hobby, job, retirement savings facing the sunset of life. Works relating to general or specific aspects of choices of life, crisis, joys, traditions, stereotypes, taboos, social norms and implications of big data society on age groups is of an interest. Pandemic and the ways people of different age groups cope with isolation are among the possible current topics. A festival, strongly associated with documentary photography, but indulgent to ironic or even humorous treatment of subjects by artists, KAUNAS PHOTO is looking for artists who observe, analyze, co-create with people – both with those at the edge of crossroads of life and those who have seen it all, changes of currency, political systems, changing technologies and borders.
In numerous countries of the world, 18 is the age of leaving school, or leaving hometown for metropolis, travelling the world (as it used to be before the pandemic), choosing whom to vote for, maybe getting driver's licence, possibly diving into the unknown and undescribable quest of experience of adult night and day life. Youth life in its daily struggle and taste, difficulties and victories will be sought after by KAUNAS PHOTO 2021, the 18 year-young festival.
Stories and concepts of what can be done to improve young people's lives, living and working opportunities and conditions, as well as what young people do to transform today's world are very welcome in photographic works. The age threshold of 18 is often associated with self-determination, own decisions, consent whether or not a person allows his/her image to be publicized via photography. Nonetheless, in full awareness that both photographing and exhibiting images of children and youth, can be delicate and challenging, organizers of KAUNAS PHOTO invite photographers to be broad-minded about interpretations of the youth topic.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2021 topic corresponds to the general topic of the festival, AGE.
Full information: http://festival.kaunasphoto.com/kaunas-photo-2021-open-call/
All Photographers/Artists, regardless of their age, nationality and place of residence are invited to submit work. KAUNAS PHOTO festival is known for its focus on documentary, but all styles, genres and approaches to photography are accepted and exhibited. Both completed works and those in progress can are welcome.
Entry consists of:
• title of the work;
• 12-15 images (2000 px on the longer side, JPG 90% quality);
• short description of the work (up to 250 words);
• short written BIO (up to 250 words), followed by photographer's contacts: email, phone number/s, mailing address.
• Non-refundable entry fee of 25 EUR, per series entered, payable at the time of submission. No more than two series per artist accepted.
• For the best of understanding, texts must be in English.
Entries accepted via LensCulture. Direct link:
Every KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2021 Finalist agrees:
• to provide the festival with a set of 20 – 40 digital files of print quality and additional materials, if needed: texts, materials for installations, etc. The materials will serve for detailed assessment of projects in the progress of selection of the Winner, as well as for the production of the exhibition by KAUNAS PHOTO festival. In 2021, due to COVID-19 driven uncertainties, transportation option is completely excluded;
• to propose possible ways of exhibiting his or her work, but accept the final decisions of the exhibition architects of KAUNAS PHOTO festival;
• that no site-specific or content information about Finalists' exhibitions will be disclosed until the date and hours of the exhibition openings.
Every KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2021 Finalist is entitled to:
• participation in a joint KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award exhibition, that will be produced by and at the expenses of KAUNAS PHOTO festival;
• Due to COVID-19 risks, complicated travel arrangements, eventual obligations of self-isolation resulting after travel, KAUNAS PHOTO festival will not undertake travel arrangements and accommodation, but will pay every KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Finalist an Artist fee of 250 EUR against an invoice delivered by the Photographer/Artist or a contract. The Artist fees will be settled no later than until October 31, 2021.
Photographers/Artists submitting works to Open Call can be enrolled in Kaunas Photo 2021 in the following ways:
• works can be included into KAUNAS PHOTO festival program, its indoor and outdoor exhibitions, presented in squares in Kaunas;
• Projection events;
• KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award – Finalist's and Winner's exhibitions.
The Jury panel of decision-making curators on the Jury panel, who will review all entries and eventually are potential providers of opportunities through their platforms, institutions and networks.
>>> The New KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award with 2500 EUR prize
The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR tradition started in 2010, awarding the best participant of portfolio reviews with a solo exhibition at Kaunas Photography Gallery and paying respect to a probable future star of photography. Since 2018, the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Winner also receives a 2500 EUR prize, and a joint exhibition of Finalists is held and opened on the same day. Possible income tax obligations, eventually imposed by the country of citizenship of the Winner, will be his/her responsibility. For a Lithuanian citizen, this prize would be tax-exempt.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Finalists exhibitions across the venues of Kaunas old town and the Winner's exhibition at Kaunas Photography Gallery will open on September 3, 2021.
Photographers/Artists with KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award in focus, should ask themselves – "is my work ready for a space of 200 square metres?".
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR selection has two stages.
In the first one, Jury panel members review and vote on all submitted entries. Ratings produced by the votes serve for shortlisting the 8 Finalists.
In the second stage, a joint Curatorial board of KAUNAS PHOTO festival and Kaunas Photography Gallery confirm or decide on finalization of the shortlist. If the standing of the first 8 positions is evident, 9th and 10th runners-up do not have the same number of votes, the 8 Finalists are confirmed by standings only. If two portfolios of one single Photographer/Artist make into the top 8, then the next voted runner-up is accepted into the list of 8 Finalists. If the No. 8 candidate has the same amount of votes as No. 9 or No. 10, the Curatorial board has right to make a decision about the 8th candidate or enlarge the group of Finalists. The published list of Finalists does not indicate any ratings.
The Curatorial board selects the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Winner from the 8 Finalists, prioritizing the work that is innovative in the use of photographic medium, exploration of the topic, strong in artistic maturity, sufficient and suitable for the large space of Kaunas Photography Gallery.
Open Call from KAUNAS PHOTO festival is followed by the Jury work that will select the shortlist of Finalists. All the shortlisted Photographers/Artists will have their exhibitions at the festival in 2021. The number of Finalists will be recommended by the festival and decided by the Jury. The Winner, selected from the Finalists by a joint board of curators of KAUNAS PHOTO festival and Kaunas Photography Gallery, will celebrate his/her exhibition at Kaunas Photography Gallery and receive the monetary prize. The decision regarding the Winner cannot be appealed.
The exhibitions of both, Finalists' and the Winner's works will open on Friday, September 3, 2021. The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2021 Winner is only revealed upon opening of the doors of Kaunas Photography Gallery.