Cart Search

2019 Annual Conference

Cleveland

March 07-10, 2019

submit Remember my login

2019 SPE Annual Conference: The Myths of Photography and the American Dream / Major support by The Joy Family Legacy Foundation

Looking for a chapter event?

Past SPE Annual Conferences

Discussing photographs

« Back to Calls for Entry

Cullare

a Don't Smile Publication

Don't Smile   /   Deadline: 12/20/18

Download in PDF Format

Cullare; /kulˈlaːre/ Italian. Verb. To lull. A respite, to pause, or a calmness.

Lately, there has been an influx of high-profile news cycles concerning consent, rape culture, and what it's like navigating the world as a target for sexual or domestic harassment and assault. As the conversation surrounding the aforementioned rapidly transforms how we as a culture talk about assault and harassment, there seems to be no escape from being bombarded constantly by this (sometimes triggering) discourse both in the news and in our social media feeds.

Cullare will serve as a mental pause.

Don't Smile is seeking photographs of what makes you feel still during this time. This could be a poetic quality of light, a landscape, a partner, an animal, or anything else that settles your soul.

-Important Dates-

Deadline to apply: December 20th, 2018

Notification of acceptance: January 28th, 2019

Publication date: March 2019

Fees

$15

Eligibility

Female-identifying photographers of every race, age, and walk of life can apply to be included in Cullare, but women photographers from historically underrepresented populations (specifically artists who identify as African, Latinx, Asian, Arab, Native American, and LGBTQA+) will be shown priority.

Requirements

A submission fee of $15 is required to apply to Cullare. 75% of all submission fees will be donated to RAINN, the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network that is a resource for support and hope for sexual and domestic assault survivors. The remaining 25% will go towards designing, proofing, and printing costs of Cullare.

This payment portal can be found at www.dont-smile.com/submit.

Evaluation Criteria

To apply to Cullare, send 2-5 .tiffs, sized (for print) 8 inches minimum on the long side, 300ppi, titled "Lastname_firstname_title_year_.tiff" Include an image list (PDF or .DOC with your Name, filename, title, and year for each image submitted.

These might be big files, so be prepared to send the files in a .zip file, WeTransfer file, or Google Drive link to submission@dont-smile.com.

Contact Information

Melissa Kreider

W: www.dont-smile.com/submit
E: submission@dont-smile.com

Email Sign Up

SPE email updates contain resources, news, and more!

About this piece

Comments about this piece

Dialogue and critique are important to the SPE mission.
Please join the conversation.

Exit Full Screen Mode