Society for Photographic Education / Deadline: 11/18/19
The SPE (Society for Photographic Education) Media Festival has featured innovative and provocative short documentaries, animation and fiction by, for, and about women and minorities since 1995. The 2020 festival will be screened in Houston, TX, on Friday and Saturday, March 6 - 7, at the 2020 SPE Annual Conference.
Narrative, documentary, animated and experimental shorts under 30 minutes, that address issues of concern to women, minorities, global or LGBTQ communities are eligible. All rights must be cleared. All selected films will be screened live at the conference. Filmmakers may also choose (or decline) to be included in the on-line festival on a password-protected site from June 2020 - May 2021. The theme of the conference is 20/20 Vision. Preference will be given to films/videos that reflect the conference theme.
There are three SPE Media Festival categories: Filmmakers must submit each entry to one category; the same video cannot be submitted to multiple categories. Filmmakers may submit multiple works to the SPE Media Festival.
- 25th Annual SPE Women's Film & Video Festival: Short documentaries, animation and fiction by, for or about women.
- Multicultural Media Festival: Short documentaries, animation and fiction on cultural issues by, for or about people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- LGBTQ Media Festival: Short documentaries, animation and fiction by, for or about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people.
Earlybird entry fee for submissions received by 11:59 PM, August 31, 2019, is free for SPE members. During checkout on FilmFreeway, you must "check" that you are a member, and enter the discount code sent by SPE via email on July 1st. Earlybird entry fee for non-members is $10. Entry fee for all submissions received September 1 - October 28 is $15. Fee for submissions received October 29 - November 18 is $25.
- SPE membership is NOT required to enter the festival.
- Films entered in previous years are NOT eligible.
All entries must be submitted through FilmFreeway:
- a web link to the full video – If password protected, include password.
- contact information for filmmaker (name, address, email and telephone number)
- Distributor information if different than filmmaker
- short (maximum 50 words) film synopsis
- short director's bio (maximum 50 words)
- awards and festival screenings
- exact running time (do not count color bars, black, etc.)